BEN board members and friends were trained in Momentum community organizing. Momentum was developed by grassroots organizers, for the grassroots. Everyone from the most experienced community organizer to the newest activist can learn something from this training. Now, BEN is hoping to add this curriculum for change to our toolbox for frontline communities.
During this training, BEN determined that Momentum gave us a good framework and theoretical grounding, but that we would need to think of creative ways to bring this kind of grassroots organizing to rural communities. We also developed a handful of next steps and things to think about:
- more interaction between BEN affiliate organizations
- we would like to bring students to the injection well summits
- how can we bring momentum to other communities?
- can this apply to fundraising (develop a "toolkit" so that donors know what they are investing in)
- how can we honor the history of the movement in our work?
- toolkit development!
We also determined that the next board meeting will be via phone conference. The slideshow that was used during the training can be found here.
Two of Momentum's founders wrote a book about popular nonviolent resistance, This is an Uprising, which can be bought online to benefit the Center for the Working Poor.
"Recommended by Naomi Klein, Michelle Alexander, Bill McKibben, Frances Fox Piven, Erica Chenoweth and many more... "